-A A +A

Getting care and support locally

Getting care and support locally

As a carer you are the first point of call providing care and support to your cared for, to help you in your caring role you may require  additional information and support which is available from a wide range of voluntary, public and private providers in Barking and Dagenham. 

Please click on the links below to find out more information about care and support locally. 

More about getting care and support locally

If you are caring for someone for example your mum they may need help to maintain their home, or help with everyday activities such as washing or dressing, there are lots of options available to support your cared for to stay safely in their own home. These are described on the ‘Help at Home’ section of the Care and Support Hub which is the council website for LBBD.

Barking and Dagenham Council works with adults and communities to support people with social care needs to be as active, healthy and independent as possible. The Council's first aim is to assist people who, due to their severity of need and their financial circumstances, are most in need of council funded support. They also help sign post others to access the wide range of support available in the community.

For carers of children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) as a carer it is important that you and your child play an active role and ensure you make your wishes known in the Eduaction Health Care  Plan that will support your child through their education at school, further education and transition from teenage years into adulthood.  The plan should be reviewed at least annually and updated so it continues to meet the needs of your child and remains relevant in their journey and preparation to adulthood.

Find out more about transitions into adulthood.

The Council of Barking and Dagenham take a prevention approach; this means that they will do all they can to:

  • Prevent the need for care and support for people who do not currently have needs
  • Reduce the need for support for people with an increased risk of developing needs
  • Delay the need for more support to people with established or complex needs

They will carry out an assessment of your cared for's social care needs in order to see if they need support.  For family carers this will be a Carers Assessment.

What is care and support?

Care and support is the help some adults need to live as well as possible with an illness or disability. It can include help with things like:

  • Washing
  • Dressing
  • Eating
  • Getting out and about
  • Keeping in touch with friends or family

It is not health care but it can work in a joined up way so that your cared for can have co-ordinated health and social care. Some people will be eligible for funded care and support from the council, and others will pay for support themselves.

A step-by-step guide to getting care and support

1. How do I know if my cared for needs an assessment?

Before contacting adult social care services you and your cared for may want to prepare by thinking about what works well in your lives and what needs to change. As a carer there might be things you are prepared to do in your caring role but there may be other things that your cared for needs and they can purchase outside support for this.  For example if you care for your mum and you work during the day your cared for may need outside support to get them up in the morning and given breakfast, with another visit at lunchtime.  This then alleviates your role as a carer while at work, you know your network of support best and by careful planning this can enable you to continue to live a life outside of caring.  The following offers questions to assist  you and your cared for when developing a care plan.  By thinking about the question you could consider whether this has an impact on your cared for's and/or your life and then think of what support or service could address the issue.

As a carer you and your cared for need to think about both your personal circumstances including:

  • Is your cared for able to communicate with people they know and new people and be understood, and understand others?
  • Does your cared for need help getting around their home, managing stairs, getting in and out of bed and chairs, or going out and about using transport?
  • Does your cared for need help with routine, daily activities, such as shopping, laundry, changing bed linen?
  • Is your cared for's home suitable for their needs? (For example, state of repair, size of property or garden, location, inaccessible areas when moving around the home - stairs, bathrooms, kitchens, uneven floor surfaces or other environmental issues.)
  • Does your cared for need help with meal preparation, managing dietary requirements, eating, drinking?
  • Does your cared for need help with looking after tehmselves through washing, dressing, grooming, going to the toilet, managing medication?
  • Is your cared for able to keep in touch with others, take part in social activities, go out to clubs or places of interest and worship, attend work - paid or unpaid?
  • Does your cared for have additional responsibilities for others including children?
  • Do your care for feel safe being at home and when they are out and about? (Please think about the risks arising from memory problems; sight or hearing loss; medication; falls and accidents; difficulty recognising danger; physical or mental illness or impairment; and self-injury or neglect.)
  • Is your cared for experiencing stress or anxiety? Does this affect their mental wellbeing, understanding and decision making? Are they able to hear and understand what people are saying, think things through and make informed decisions easily?
  • AIs your cared for able to manage their personal and household finances, including claiming welfare benefits, paying bills?

Once you have thought about these questions if you are not seeking local authority help with funding you can continue to look at the Council's Care and Support Hub and the Carers' Hub to see what help is available and consider the options. Alternatively, contact the Intake and Access Team on 020 8227 2915, email Intaketeam@lbbd.gov.uk

2. When you first contact the Intake and Access Team

You can ask them to make a social care needs assessment to determine whether or not your cared for has care and support needs. They will ask you and your cared for some key questions and start to work out if you or your cared for might have any care and support needs.

The council believes that carers and their cared for should be at the centre of the assessment and planning process. This is because you understand your own and your cared for's needs and how to meet them.

Following the assessment, they will write to you and/or your cared for to confirm the decision on whether your cared for are eligible for care and support from the council or what other help is available.

Remember you have a right to a Carers Assessment which will look at your needs as a carer in your own right.

The questions they use in the assessment are based on eligibility criteria set out by the government, details of which are set out below.

3. How we decide who gets care and support (national eligibility criteria for those needing care and support; if you are caring for someone see below)

The Care Act 2014 has introduced a national approach to deciding if an adult is eligible for care and support based on three questions.

The first question in the national criteria is: Do you have needs due to a physical or mental impairment or illness?

This includes conditions such as physical, mental, sensory, learning or cognitive disabilities or illnesses, brain injuries and substance misuse.

The second question in the national criteria is: Because of this, are you unable to achieve two or more of the outcomes set out in the Care Act?

If your cared for does have needs caused by physical or mental impairment or illness, the council must consider whether you are unable to achieve two or more of the following:

  • Managing and maintaining nutrition
  • Maintaining personal hygiene
  • Managing toilet needs
  • Being appropriately clothed
  • Being able to make use of your home safely
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities they may have for a child

They will also want to ask you or your cared for about how they manage medication and the impact this may have on their condition.

The third question in the national criteria is: Because of this, is there likely to be a significant impact on your cared for's wellbeing?

Wellbeing is different for everyone but the Care Act suggests the following as guidelines:

  • Personal dignity (including treatment of the individual with respect)
  • Physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
  • Protection from abuse and neglect
  • Control by the individual over day-to-day life (including over care and support provided and the way it is provided)
  • Participation in work, education, training or recreation
  • Social and economic wellbeing
  • Domestic, family and personal relationships
  • Suitability of living accommodation
  • The individual’s contribution to society

If your cared for is eligible for support:

They will work with you and your cared for to arrange a support plan.

Your cared for may be required to pay for some or all of their care and support services. They will arrange for a financial assessment to be undertaken. This will determine whether the council is able to fund some or all of your cared for's identified services, or whether they need to contribute towards some or all of these costs.

If your cared for is not eligible for support:

You may feel they would benefit from some other assistance.  Further information and options can be found on the Carers' Hub.

However if your circumstances change, please contact the Intake and Access Team on 020 8227 2915, or by email at Intaketeam@lbbd.gov.uk

4. Care at home

If your cared for is living in their own home and need paid carers they should be in control. You help your cared for arrange and pay for their own care and support; those who pay the full care costs are known as'self-funders'. To find out more about paying for  care visit: paying for care and support below

Alternatively following assessment the council may pay for the full cost of your cared for's care or they may be asked to pay for some of their support. Self directed support and personal budgets make this possible. Self Directed Support is the way the Council arrange Adult Social Care services in Barking and Dagenham. The Council think you and your cared for are in the best place to decide how to spend your cared for's Personal Budget (the money received to pay for care and support). You and your cared for decide which services to buy, who you and your cared for want them from, and when you and your cared for want them.

Find out more about Personal Budgets and Self Directed.

5. Where you live

If you and/or your cared for no longer feel able to maintain your current home, you may want to consider other housing options, which offer increased levels of support. There is a wide range of accommodation available locally, some run by the council and others by housing associations, charities and private companies.

Find out more about housing options, residential and nursing homes in Barking and Dagenham.

6. If you are not able to make your own decisions

In line with the Mental Capacity Act 2005 the Council believe that if you are aged 16 or over, you are able to make decisions for yourself.

If your cared for are not able to make their own decisions, the Council may have to take action on their behalf and they will do this in your cared for's best interests. They would discuss their needs with anyone who has 'power of attorney'. This is where, in certain circumstances, someone is legally allowed to make decisions for your cared for  to act on their behalf. If they have no substitute decision-maker, such as someone with a Lasting Power of Attorney, the Court of Protection can look at their situation and decide how decisions should be made and by whom.  As a carer if you are willing to take on the decision making responsibility for your cared for you can help them to apply for a Lasting Power of Attorney.  Your cared for has to have capacity to make the decisions in the application.  See more information on the Carers' Hub site under dementia.

7. Advocacy

Some people need help to support them and to speak on their behalf – this is known as advocacy.

Find out more about advocacy services.

8. Caring for someone?

Remember as a carer you are entitled to an assessment of your own needs even if the person you care for is not in contact with Adult and Community Services. For more information go to:

Find our more about caring for someone.

9. Involving other professionals in your cared for's assessments

Health and social care professionals will work together to assess your cared for's needs to deliver services. With their consent, they will share information about your cared for's situation with those involved in helping them. This means that your cared for should not be asked the same questions by different professionals and they will be better able to coordinate all the  services.

10. Your cared for's support plan (also known as care plan)

support plan helps you and your cared for to think about how to use a personal budget in order to get the care and support needed. It includes information that helps the Council to determine the budget.

11. Paying for care and support services

Care and support services are not free. Many people have to pay something towards their own care and some will have to pay for all of the costs.

You can find lots of information on the NHS Choices website about paying for care.

You can also find out about ways to pay for care in Barking and Dagenham here.

How to appeal against a decision about your cared for's care and support services link

12. Review

Why are services Reviewed?

The Council recognise that a person's needs may change over time so it is important to keep the support plan under review.

What is a review?

A review will be arranged by a social worker to look at the support a person receives to make sure it is meeting their needs. If the person's needs have changed, the Council will re-assess them and decide what support they need. Their support may stay the same, increase or they may get less support or different types of support. The review will also give them a chance to discuss the quality of care they receive.

How often should a review take place?

You can expect to have a review once a year. However, we know that people’s needs change. If circumstances change, please contact the Intake and Access Team on 020 8227 2915, or by email at Intaketeam@lbbd.gov.uk

Who will be involved in the review?

The review will involve the person needing the review and a social worker and the following if appropriate:

  • Care provider
  • A carer or relatives
  • An advocate
  • GP

What will happen if the social worker decides the support needs have changed?

If the social worker decides the person's needs have changed they will talk to them about this at the review.

If they are not happy with the decisions made at the review they can talk to the social worker. They will answer any questions about the assessment and why the person is no longer entitled to the same level of support.

Not happy with the decision you can complain using the process outlined below.

13. Comments, compliments and complaints

The Council want you to tell them when they have got things right and also when they could have done things better or differently. The council try hard to make care and support as good as possible. If a person is not happy about the way you they been treated, they have a right to complain.

Find out more about Comments, compliments and complaints.