-A A +A

Support at home

Personal care in your home

What is available?

Home care can help people of all ages with living at home, in many different situations. They can:

  • Provide short term support to help a person to get back on their feet at home after an illness or time in hospital (they call this "reablement");
  • Home Care can help with a Personal Budget to arrange long term support from an independent registered home care agency; or
  • Provide help for carers at home.

Who can get help?

The Council try to make sure they provide services to people in Barking and Dagenham who need them most, for example people who can no longer care for themselves. They will carry out an assessment to see whether they can help pay for a home care service.

What is an assessment?

If they cannot provide help, they will still give advice about other help available and the kind of equipment that might make living at home easier.

Is it safe to let people into the home?

All home care agencies, including home care provided by the Council, are registered by an independent regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC). CQC make sure the service reaches minimum standards and inspects services regularly. They publish their reports.

Visit the CQC's website for more information

Visit the LBBD website to find out more

Paying for home care services

How much does Home Care cost?

The charging system for home care services may seem complicated, but it has been designed to try and make sure everybody's needs are met fairly.

Home carers can help with using the toilet, dressing, washing, getting in and out of bed, preparing meals, and doing your laundry. They can also help with recovery from an illness by encouraging a person to follow their recovery programme as provided by a doctor.

Getting in touch

The first point of contact for information about home care services should be the Adult Intake and Access Team. You can telephone them on 020 8227 2915.

Please contact me about this service

Employing a Personal Assistant

A Personal Assistant (also known as a PA) is employed by people who need social care, either because of their age or disability, to enable them to live as independently as possible.

A PA assists people with their everyday life. This can include helping with shopping, household tasks and help with personal care such as bathing and getting dressed. They can also support people to access community resources e.g. the library as well as community activities and leisure facilities such as the cinema and the local bowling alley.

A PA understands that each individual is different and the support they deliver gives the people that employs them choice and control.

You can find a list of PAs that have been accredited by London Borough of Barking and Dagenham here.

It should be noted that PAs on this website are not employed by the Council. A PA will be employed by the individual person who requires the support or by the appointed ‘suitable person’ on behalf of the individual if the individual has not got mental capacity to direct their own support.

Skills for Care have developed an interactive online toolkit with lots of useful information about employing a PA, managing your PA, the benefits of having PA and more.

Click here to visit the Skills for Care website.

If you would like more information about PAs or would like information about how you can employ a PA in Barking and Dagenham, please contact:

Mary Ward, PA Coordinator

Email: Mary.Ward@lbbd.gov.uk
Tel: 020 8227 2185

Or write to: 

PA Coordinator
2nd Floor South Wing
Civic Centre
RM10 7BN

Ian Marshall, PA Coordinator 

Email: Ian.Marshall@lbbd.gov.uk 
Tel: 020 8227 5128

Or write to:

PA Coordinator
2nd Floor North Wing
Civic Centre
RM10 7BN

If you would like information about becoming a Personal Assistant, please click here.

Equipment to help the person you care for

What is available?

Advice and information

The Council can give you advice on different ways to carry out everyday tasks that reduce the difficulties your cared for is having helping them to feel more independent. They can also tell you about the equipment you can buy and where to find your local suppliers.  These could be local chemists, mainstream shops, or shops that specialise in certain types of equipment.

Click here to see a list of accredited retailers

How much does it cost?

  • Some larger pieces of equipment may be loaned by the Council. This means the equipment is free to use for the period of the loan but should be returned when no longer required.
  • A prescription may be offered to get the equipment, this will also be free and the equipment will belong to your cared for.
  • Your cared for may have to pay for other items, but they can always ask the Council for advice on what they should get and how much they should expect to pay.


Your cared for can purchase a wide range of equipment to help with difficulties in the kitchen, bathroom, living room or bedroom, this will make your caring role easier too. 

  • Via an assessement a prescription may be offered for equipment needed.
  • The prescription can be used at any accredited shop to pick up free equipment. If the equipment isn't in stock, it should be ordered to arrive within seven days.
  • The shop will look at the prescription, it will often be possible to "top-up". This means the choice to buy a more expensive item by paying the difference. This could be an item with extra features, or perhaps in a different colour.
  • The shop assistant will show how the equipment works and how to use it.

Mindful Eye

Mindful Eye are a local company and can provide and install a range of equipment to support adults with a physical or sensory impairment, or older frail adults, to remain in their own homes. The types of equipment we install are varied but can be purchased or rented so are ideal for Individual Budgets.

Equipment can be viewed on our website www.mindful-eye.co.uk 

If you would like to know more about how different types of equipment might help, click the button below to visit the AskSARA website. You can complete a short survey about the things you are finding difficult, and the website will tell you more about what equipment is available and how it can help.

Visit the AskSARA Website 

How to get in touch

The first point of contact for information about assessments and equipment should be the Adult Intake and Access Team. You can telephone them on 020 8227 2915.

Please contact me about this service

Taking medicine

If a person needs to take a lot of different types of medicine it can be hard to remember what you are supposed to take at the right time. This can put your health at risk.

One of the easiest ways to keep track is to use a box that is marked with the day and time you need to take your tablets. This is called a dosset box. It makes it easy to see what tablets need to be taken, and when. Ask your chemist for one if you do not already own one. They will also help to fill it up for you if you cannot do this yourself.

If someone comes into your home who assists with personal care then they can help you to take your medicine as long as you are using a marked box with the days and times on. They will complete a record sheet to show when they have helped you with this.

You may find it helpful to set an alarm to remind you to take your medicine, or perhaps keep a diary or planner where you can tick off each dose as you take it.

If you are still unsure and need support in taking medicine, or applying creams, drops or lotions you should contact your doctor, district nurse or local chemist for advice.