-A A +A

Drugs and alcohol

Drugs and alcohol

Useful information about the advice, help and treatment available in the borough for drug and alcohol users and the families and carers of drug and alcohol users.

I am worried about someone

It can be hard to know what to do if a friend or a member of your family is using drugs or drinking more alcohol than is good for them.

You can't make other people's decisions for them, but you can try to help them to see that what they are doing isn't good for them. If someone you know is using drugs, it's important to help them to get treatment so that they can stop.

There are plenty of support services in the borough that can offer help, advice, and information. Some of them also offer help for friends and relatives, as it can be very hard to cope when someone you care about is abusing drugs or alcohol.

The Barking and Dagenham Partnership

If you have a problem with alcohol or drugs, there are a number of services organised by the Barking and Dagenham Partnership that can help.

What is the Barking and Dagenham Partnership?

The Barking and Dagenham Partnership involves all the agencies that work together to deal with the problems of drugs; the Council, the NHS, voluntary organisations, as well as the Police and the probation service. The DAAT works together to make sure the best possible help is available. They do this by organising the drug and alcohol services that are needed in the borough, and making sure that the needs of people with drug and alcohol problems, and their families and carers, are met.

The Barking and Dagenham Partnership aims to:

  • Cut drug-related crime and antisocial behaviour within the community;
  • Cut harm caused to young people by drug and alcohol use;
  • Increase the number of drug users making a positive contribution to society;
  • Expand and improve drug treatment services;
  • Cut the number of families devastated by drug use;
  • Improve the services that are offered to you;
  • Make sure there are services to help people to deal with their drug and alcohol use;
  • Provide services to support families of drug and alcohol abusers; and
  • Make sure advice and information is available when you need it.

The partnership consists of:

  • The Council
  • Police
  • NHS Barking and Dagenham
  • Probation
  • Fire Brigade

Get in touch

Gateway Service
Address: Red Lion House, 38 George Street, Barking, IG11 8FE
Phone: 0208 507 8668
Fax: 0208 507 3719

Address: 50 Wakering Road, Barking, IG11 8GN
Phone: 020 8227 5019

If you want more information about drugs and alcohol, why not visit http://www.talktofrank.com/ or call 0800 77 66 00 for free advice.  

What help is available?

There are a number of different services and many different types of help and support.

Treatment and recovery

If you have been taking certain drugs or drinking heavily for a long time, and you are finding it really difficult to stop, you might be addicted or dependent. This can be a physical as well as a psychological dependency. You might need specialist help in order to stop. This might include going through processes called detoxificationand rehabilitation.

Detoxification (or detox) is a bit like cleaning your body. It has to be carried out in a controlled environment, sometimes a hospital. You will stop drinking or taking drugs altogether and you will be given medication to help your body deal with the withdrawal symptoms.

Rehabilitation can take anything between three to five months. The aim of rehabilitation is to help you return to normal life. It will involve group work and one-to-one counselling.

Treatment will be carried out in the community via the Community Alcohol Team and the Recovery Service.

Now that you know what they are, why not see which services can offer them?

Click here to find out about local drug and alcohol services

Local Drug and Alcohol Services

Fighting drug and alcohol problems is hard, but there are services available to support you and your family.

Below is a link to direct you to a list of local services that can help with drug and alcohol problems. The services they offer vary. Some of them provide detoxification or rehabilitation.

Click here for more information on Local Drug and Alcohol Services

Needle Exchange

Using shared or dirty needles can lead to serious health conditions such as HIV and Hepatitis. As well as causing problems for you, you can infect other people and cause them harm. Many local pharmacies offer a needle exchange service.

Click here for more information on Needle Exchange

I need information about drugs

Sometimes people tell you some drugs are safe and won’t cause you harm. It’s important to have accurate information. You can get this in confidence and anonymously. Talk to FRANK for help, advice and information.

The FRANK website can give you a quick introduction to some of the most commonly used drugs (plus some of the drugs that cause the most harm). You can find out about the risks of taking them, their legal status, and the effects they have. There is an A-Z of substances that tells you what they look like, how they are used, how addictive they are, and more.

The FRANK help and advice line offers confidential information to anyone who has questions about drugs. FRANK is not there to frighten you or tell you what to do. It will give you the information you need to help you decide what to do.

Phone: 0800 77 66 00
Web: www.talktofrank.com

You can also find out more about drugs and their effects from your local drug service. Phone the Gateway Service on 020 507 8668.

I need information about alcohol

Drinking too much can cause serious health problems, as well as affecting your work, family and social life. These services are available to help.

Alcohol is readily available but you may be surprised that drinking relatively small quantities regularly can cause serious health problems as well as contributing to injuries.  Heavy drinking can affect your work and can cause problems for your family and friends.  Children and partners are often affected by heavy drinking by a family member. Sometimes you may feel under pressure to drink heavily with your friends. Here are some national and local services which can give you information about drinking, and which are available locally to support and help people who have problems with drinking. Some also offer support to families affected by drinking.

Alcoholics Anonymous 
Phone: 0845 769 7555
Web: www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk
Email: help@alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk.

Phone: 0800 917 8282 
Web: www.drinking.nhs.uk

 Asking for help is the first step. Contact your local Community Alcohol team on 020 8591 6800.