-A A +A

Staying safe if someone is hurting you

Staying safe if someone is hurting you

In an emergency you should call 999 and ask for the police– they will come to your house at any time of the day

How do I get help?

Whether you call the police or come to us, it is important you know that help is available.

Getting help from the Police

In an emergency you should always call 999 and ask for the Police - they will come to your house at any time of the day if you need them.

If you don't think you need to call 999 because it isn't an emergency, but you do think the abuse is also a crime, you can call the Police reporting line on 101.

Getting help from the Council

If you, or someone you know, is an 'adult at risk' but not in immediate danger you should contact:

Adult Social Care Intake & Access Team
Phone: 020 8227 2915
Minicom: 020 8227 2462
Email: intaketeam@lbbd.gov.uk

If you need help out of office hours (5pm – 9am and weekends) you should contact:

Out of Hours Emergency Social Work Duty Team
Phone: 020 8594 8356

Someone to speak on my behalf...

Some people find speaking up for themselves difficult. This could be due to a learning or physical disability, a mental health problem, or for many other reasons. If you need somebody to speak out for you and get your voice heard, help is available in Barking and Dagenham.

Phone: 020 8590 2666

Barking and Dagenham Mencap (PACT)
Phone: 0208 262 5330

Keeping people safe is everyone’s responsibility.

We all have a duty to report suspected, alleged or confirmed incidents of abuse.

How might I become aware of abuse?

  • You may see or hear something
  • The person may tell you that they are being abused
  • A friend, family member or somebody else may tell you something that causes you concern
  • You may notice injuries or physical signs that make you feel worried
  • You may notice either the victim or abuser behaving in a way that makes you think something is wrong.

What should I do?

If you are concerned that an adult at risk, an adult is being abused or neglected, you should contact the Adult Social Care Intake & Access team.

What not to do:

  • Don't confront the person you think is the abuser
  • Don't try to find out about it yourself
  • Don't touch or clean anything.

What will happen next?

If you call us, we will ask you questions about the person you are worried about, and the person you think is the abuser. If you fill in the alert form, you will be asked for these details as well.

It's really important that we protect the person you are worried about. We will need to investigate and make sure that they are safe. We will look at the situation carefully. What happens next will depend on the outcome of our investigation and the wishes of the person you think is being abused.

Click here to see our easy to read leaflet 'Say no to abuse'

Useful contacts

Adult Social Care Intake & Access Team
Phone: 020 8227 2915
Minicom: 020 8227 2462
Email: intaketeam@lbbd.gov.uk

Out of Hours Emergency Social Work Duty Team
Phone: 020 8594 8356

Local Police Reporting Line
Phone: 0300 123 1212

Action on Elder Abuse Helpline
Phone: 0808 808 8141
Web: www.elderabuse.org.uk

Stop Hate Crime Helpline
Phone: 0800 138 1625

National Domestic Violence Helpline
Phone: 0808 2000 247
Web: http://www.nationaldomesticviolencehelpline.org.uk/

Reporting abuse can be intimidating, but it is the first step towards keeping yourself, or the person you are worried about, safe.

What is abuse?

Abuse can come in many forms, in different places, and at different times. No matter who is doing it, or where it is happening, it is still abuse.

Who is an adult at risk?

Some adults may be less able to protect themselves from violence, because of mental or other disability, age or illness. Where a person is an adult at risk the local authority has a duty to help to safeguard the adult.

How do I get help?

Who might be causing the abuse?

The person who is responsible for the abuse is often well known to the person beingharmed. They could be:

  • A relative, friend or neighbour;
  • A paid or unpaid carer;
  • personal assistant;
  • A health or social care worker;
  • Another vulnerable adult;
  • Someone who is supposed to provide a service; or
  • A stranger.

Where can abuse happen?

Abuse can happen anywhere. It could be in someone's home, in a residential or nursing home, a hospital, at work, at a day centre, at college, in supported housing or in the street.

Types of abuse

Physical abuse

Examples are hitting, pushing, pinching, shaking, burning, slapping, stabbing, strangling, not giving someone their medication, using unnecessary force to restrain someone, or pulling someone's hair.

Sexual abuse

Examples are rape (which is when someone forces someone else to have sex), sexual assault (when someone forces another person into a sexual act), indecent exposure (when someone takes their clothes off to scare you), forcing someone to look at pornographic images, or taking pornographic images of someone against their will.

Emotional abuse

Examples are verbal abuse, threatening to harm or abandon someone, blaming someone, humiliating someone, frightening someone, manipulating someone to control them, harassing someone, or isolating someone.

Financial abuse

Examples include theft, fraud, manipulating someone to get their money, pressuring someone to change their will.


Examples include ignoring someone's medical or physical care needs, stopping someone from getting their medical or physical care needs met, or not letting someone have food, drink, heating or clothes.


Examples include disrespectful remarks or behaviour because of someone's race, sexuality, religion, age, disability or mental health. These types of abuse are also known as "Hate" incidents.

Institutional abuse

Examples include mistreatment of people in residential or nursing homes or hospitals.

Professional abuse

Examples include when someone in a position of power or trust uses their professional standing to abuse someone.

Click here to see our easy to read leaflet 'Say no to abuse'

No matter what kind of abuse it is, or who is causing it, abuse is not the victim’s fault. Help is available.

Who is a vulnerable adult?

We all have a right to live our lives in safety, without being hurt or threatened by other people.

Who is a "vulnerable adult"?

Some groups of people may be more likely to be targeted, and less able to keep themselves safe. A person like this is seen to be a "vulnerable adult". They could:

  • Have a mental health problem;
  • Have a physical disability;
  • Have a learning disability;
  • Have a sensory impairment;
  • Be old and frail;
  • Have an illness; or
  • Have a problem linked to drugs or alcohol.

How do I get help?

Click here to see our easy to read leaflet "Say no to abuse"

What is Safeguarding?

Every adult living in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham has the right to live in safety, free from fear of abuse or neglect.

The Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB) exists to make sure that organisations and local communities work together to protect adults at risk. 

‘Safeguarding’ means identifying and preventing risks, and includes:

  • Having a ‘zero tolerance’ policy towards all forms of abuse or neglect;
  • Responding to and investigating any suspected instances of abuse or neglect;
  • Supporting adults at risk to report any concerns while also empowering them to safeguard themselves from harm;
  • Supporting adults at risk  to stop abuse or neglect and to access the services they need, such as advocacyand victim support;
  • Ensuring that quality commissioned, regulated and accredited services are provided by staff with appropriate training to meet the needs of adults at risk;
  • Improving access to justice and the criminal justice system;
  • Promoting dignity and respect; and;
  • Engaging with the local community to promote and inform about safeguarding issues.

What is the Safeguarding Adults Board?

It is the Safeguarding Adult Board’s (SAB) job to make sure that action is taken to protect adults at risk and that awareness of the issue is raised throughout the Borough. In addition, the SAB has a responsibility to:

  • Publish an Annual Report
  • Publish a Strategic Plan each year
  • Undertake Safeguarding Adult Reviews (SAR) where an adult in the local authority area has experienced serious abuse or neglect
  • Follow up on recommendations and action plans from SARs, reporting any decision not to implement any actions in the Annual Report

Who is on the Safeguarding Adults Board?

Safeguarding requires effective co-ordination; everyone must work together in order to protect vulnerable adults. LBBD, Barking and Dagenham’s Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and the Police are required by law to have representation on the SAB.

The Safeguarding Adults Board has an Independent Chair, three committees – the Safeguarding Adults ReviewCommittee, the Learning and Development Committee and the Performance and Assurance Committee, and many other partners and organisations are represented on these. They are responsible for:

  • Developing a work programme which will be incorporated into and monitored through the SAB strategic plan
  • Reporting on the progress of the Group’s work to the SAB
  • Resourcing the meetings of the Group
  • Ensuring that the membership of the Group draws in the required experience from relevant organisations/community groups/professionals.

Please click here for useful safeguarding toolkits and documents.

For information on training and learning events please click here.

For more information on the SAB please contact AdultCommissioning@lbbd.gov.uk

What is the 'I Care' campaign?

Imagine living alone and being too frail or ill to get out and about.  Imagine now that you do not have any family around you to lend a hand - who would you turn to if you were in trouble? 

The I Care campaign helps to get everyone in the community thinking about vulnerable neighbours or friends. We encourage you to keep an eye out for them if you think they need help.

Who is it funded by?

All the main services involved in protecting vulnerable people in the community support the campaign and have helped to pay for it. The 'I Care' campaign is funded by the Council, North East London Foundation Trust, Community Health Services Barking and Dagenham, NHS Barking and Dagenham, and the Metropolitan Police.

How can I support the 'I Care' campaign?

We are working in partnership with local public, private, voluntary and community sector organisations work to prevent abuse and neglect. However, because abuse and neglect often happen in private places, we don't always find out that it is happening until it has got very serious, for example if someone has been very badly hurt.

The aim of the 'I Care' campaign is to encourage local people to alert us if they think a vulnerable adult is being mistreated or abused. If you tell us as soon as you are concerned, we can stop the abuse before it has a chance to get worse.

You can also help us to raise awareness. You could print off one of our posters and place it somewhere where people can see it to show them that there is support available.

Click the buttons below to choose a poster.

I Care Poster - Not seen a neighbour recently?

I Care Poster - Anyone seen Jane recently?

I Care Poster - Neighbour's paper been there a while?

I Care Poster - Jim's milk has been there for a while

I Care Poster - Jane's son has taken her food money

I Care Christmas campaign

I Care Christmas wrapping paper

Adult Intake and Access Team
Phone: 020 8227 2915
Minicom: 020 8227 2462
Email: intaketeam@lbbd.gov.uk